Friday, November 12, 2010

how to get flash videos on ubuntu-8.04 desktop


I was breaking my head for the past 15 days or more to play videos posted in
facebook using firefox 3 on ubuntu-8.04 (hardy). But nothing worked, from downloading the .deb file from adobe to manually installing the adobe-flashplugin.
After much search over web and testing on my ubuntu desktop finally below things solved my problem.

Firefox actually searches for libflashplayer.so file to play the videos so if its not present in the plugins dir then create softlink using below commands...

prudhvi@RAPTOR:~$ sudo cd /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/
prudhvi@RAPTOR:~$ ln -s /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so

Now I was able to play the videos but it was like watching TV on mute :).. On checking for that I found that flash looks for libesd.so.1 for playing audio.
Again create a soft link.. blah blah like below.

prudhvi@RAPTOR:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesd.so.1

Its not over yet the above lib expects a socket for playing audio so create one as below..
prudhvi@RAPTOR:~$ sudo mkdir -p /tmp/.esd/
prudhvi@RAPTOR:~$ sudo touch /tmp/.esd/socket

This should be it and i can view all my videos with out any problemo..
Just thought of documenting here for future references and hope this is helpful to whoever is still using HARDY.

see yaa

No comments:

Post a Comment